Thursday, August 16, 2012

HDMI Cameras in WebEx - Update



Cisco/Tandberg PTZ Camera
I have a demonstration that I conduct every couple of weeks – and in this demonstration, I have to show a variety of our Collaboration tools, including a variety of Telepresence Video Endpoints, UC phone-related features, and our mobile apps for the iPad and the iPhone.  We conduct these demonstrations and the related presentations over WebEx – this lets us invite as many interested parties as necessary, and offer them the ability to see not just our slides, but video of my demos.

Originally I was using a simple webcam – moving the camera around to point at different pieces of gear that I use in the demonstration – to show everything off.  This was difficult, because the cameras have a limited field of view, short cords, and are a fixed focal length (they have no zoom).  What I really wanted to do was to use one of the Tandberg Telepresence units in our conference room, with its PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) camera, remote control, and programmable positions, to make my demo more “free ranging” and the units easier to see. 

BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle - USB 3.0
I’m not alone in wanting to use a higher quality camera in my webinars, so after speaking with contacts at different customers, I found out about the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle capture device.  This is a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt accessory (only for the Mac, at this point - and make sure you have USB 3.0!) which allows input from composite, S-Video or HDMI – they have other units with more & different connectors, but for me HDMI was the desired connection. 

Most of the Tandberg Codecs have a 2nd monitor HDMI out – but if you use one that doesn’t (a C20, perhaps) then you can connect the HDMI from the camera directly to the Shuttle, and then go out from the Shuttle to your VC Unit’s monitor.  It’s useful to have an extra HDMI cable or two handy, just in case you need to move things around.

I did have to update the Thunderbolt driver on my Macbook to make this work.  Also, the Thunderbolt cable does NOT come with the Shuttle- so you’ve got to buy one (around $50) – and you want the longest one you can get.  The 6’ one I have is about 6’ too short – being able to really use your VC Unit’s screen as a “selfview” or confidence monitor is nice. 


Cisco/Tandberg C40 - note the outputs!
When you connect the Shuttle, you’ll notice that WebEx “sees” about 15 different “camera” options – all different resolutions.  With the HDMI connected, I use the 720p 29.97 10 bit option.  While you can use this “directly” in WebEx (just like choosing between multiple USB webcams) I have found that using ManyCam for Mac is a good idea.

For one thing, I have noticed that the image seems dark – ManyCam lets you crank up the brightness/gain to get a brighter image – make sure to increase the contrast level as well to keep the image sharp and clear.

I am also a BIG fan of having some “content in my back pocket” – a few recordings to show just in case something goes amiss.  With ManyCam, I can play other video files into the meeting – although without sound – to use as filler material.  Sometimes it even makes sense to show video of a location or device that you don’t always have access to – or, if you’re traveling, it can lighten your load by allowing you to leave those extra devices at home if you have good quality video to share.  That said, I do record videos with my Canon 7D- I will be trying a capture using the Blackmagic at some point, though.

Here is a screenshot from our presentation just this week.  That's me in the top right and bottom left, in the iPad video (calling a TP unit) and the desktop IM video.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh,

    Do you know of anyway or any box that will allow me to get into webex with 2 or more cameras. I want to switch upstream of the webex computer.

    I have tried grass valley converters, black magic. Webex sees the boxes but does not pass video

    thanks

    dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any delay with this set up? Normally capture cards add lag. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete